Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Vacation Part 1



I have a week off. But I'm staying close to town and doing stuff. Part 1 was going up to dad's place on the Kettle River.

Very little bike content here.



Well, except for Maddie's mastery of the giant trike. Once she got it figured out, she was able to haul a load (her 2.5 year old cousin) in the basket about 1/4 of a mile to my dad's place.



We did a ton of swimming in the Kettle. Which is a great river. And one of the last clean ones. I've been swimming there since I was younger than Maddie and I love that river - especially this time of year. It's cool and calm.



We framed out a sort of complex wall for my dad's addition. Note the angled top there. 17.5% to be exact.



Maddie drove the ancient truck. As he let me, Dad let her just drive off the road. Liza was not so sure of that, but she played along as Maddie concentrated on keeping us away from the (big) trees. Maddie is so much braver than I ever was. Not sure if that's a good thing or not.

We ate a shitpile of junk food. Nothing like having a small local general store just a short ride away. Oreos, Nutter Butters, chips, Budweiser, ice cream... good stuff that. Ugh. I'm feeling it.



Part 2 of vacation will consist of a couple day rides and at least one wheel build. There may be a bike build (bi-annual single speed mountain bike build) in there if I get the wheel done quickly.

Part 3 will be hanging with my brozers on the lake this weekend. Likely no pics or official documentation on that part of the vacation. It already has never happened. Knowwhatimean? Nudge nudge wink wink.


5 comments:

Mark said...

that window header needs a cripple stud!

John Speare said...

Mark: Damn. You must be a pro. A cripple stud? I'll take you're word for it.

FBC Spokane said...

Mark, I'm glad you said it already.

Anonymous said...

A true pro would say that the window header needs a "differently abled, gender-neutral but performance-capable piece of dimension lumber."

I suspect anyone who frames a wall with a calculated 17.5% pitch knows all about cripples anyway.

Where I grew up, 17.5% was referred to as "level."

Nice pix and movie!

Tiffany said...

Yes, nice movie! What camera did you use...an underwater one!!!

- Maddie kicks ass.