Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Long ride opportunity

Totally unrelated picture of an Elephant bike, since last month's article in OTM
didn't have a pic of the inverted forks. Here they are.

I get to take a long ride on Friday. I'm taking the long way up to my dad's place on the Kettle River. I've really not made long rides a priority this year and I've missed it.

Generally, I'm sort of in a funk at the moment, so the timing is good. There's nothing like a long solo ride to sort things out and put stuff in perspective.

I'm not sure yet on the route. I'm torn between the Springdale-Hunters-Barstow route, which has a great climb; or a new route. A new route would be bits of 395 + some dirt and side roads that I've wondered about in the past. In either case, I'll have very low traffic and nice scenery.

The bike I take depends on the route. Or I may pick a bike and let the route fall out of the bike choice. Fixed? Fast? Fat-tired? I've no baggage, so the options are wide open.

Decisions, decisions.


11 comments:

Orochi said...

Nice foto, cool bike =)

KarmaCycle said...

Loving the blog - it came up under the "blogs of note" section in Blogger.com and that's how I found you. I'm taken with your dilemma because it reminds me - in a curious kind of way - about the choices I make each morning as I plunge through the streets of London. Shall I go along the canal? Shall I take the big fast roads? Shall I wiggle my way through the back streets? All have advantages and disadvantages. But your choice makes me very envious indeed - I'd much rather be biking where you are than through the mean streets over here ... here's my stuff in case you're interested: www.karma-cycle.blogspot.com

Aman Jain said...

nice, cool, fantastic. its notable that there are still people who luve cycling

John Speare said...

Orochi/AJ: thanks.

Karma: I took a look at your blog -- good stuff. It makes me want to take a photo essay of my little commute. I have similar choices: quick and direct on busy streets; long way with trails and dirt; mellow way through parks and slow side streets?

It really makes me wonder why so many people choose to drive to work. Riding to and from work is like still getting to have recess as an adult twice a day.

Dylan said...

Will you be making another post once you've completed your ride? I'm in the midst of trying to plan a ride from Kettle Falls to Spokane, and I've love to know how your route works out.

dves said...

395 + what do you mean by that? miles? wow! shocking...

denparser said...

its a very good exercise that our body needs. cycling will develop your endurance.

John Speare said...

Dylan - I will post a follow up. I've got lots of route suggestions if you want to email me. Looking at your blog -- you are a west-sider, so how is it that you are planning a trip from KF to Spokane? Just curious. Let me know if you need a place to crash in Spokane.

AssLissa said...

Can you now explain what an inverted fork is? Now that I can see it...what is it?

dves said...

Riding on bike is so cool especially your peers with you during the race :)

Anonymous said...

When you're in a funk, it's time to get funky! Work up a sweat with James Brown in your ipod earholes, man.

Although "inverted fork" sounds like an obscene yoga position, I love the primitive look of that bike. Looks like it's dragging its knuckles.