Thursday, October 29, 2009

Bike hang

I like talking and talking about bike stuff. Most normal people have a threshold for bike talk. I do actually have a threshold too. But it takes a couple days of bike-only talk to reach it.

Last night, a buddy, Nate invited me to Benniditos for a beer. He said to invite others. So I sent a mail out to a few buddies. It was nice to sit around and talk about bike stuff.

Normally when I hang out with bikey types and non-bikey types, I try to temper the bike discussion a bit. But when it's all bike nerds and the only hard commonality is bike obsession, then it's just pure bike nerd bliss.

It got me thinking, as winter comes around, it would be nice to have regular bike hangs, where the point is to not feel bad about talking about bikes for 2 hours or so with a group of bike nerds. Last night, we had a builder there, a female CX racer, an aspiring rack-builder, a no-car commuter guy, and me.

Discussion was around CX racing, CX bikes, 29'ers, internally-geared hubs, selling whole bikes vs parting out, best winter mittens/gloves, new Keen SPD footbed width, Taylor and his general radness, starting up 50-75 mile weekly ride-abouts in the spring, and a bunch of other stuff I can't remember.

And all without rolled eyes or exasperated sighs.

I have a 2 hour opportunity every Weds night. How about that? Bike hang at Benniditos South on Weds at 5:30-7:30. I can't make every weds, but I could make most.

10 comments:

Pondero said...

"...rolled eyes and exasperated sighs..."

Been there, my friend. Great post. Great idea. Best of luck with implementation.

rory said...

change the location to the pub at 3rd place books, and i'm there.

Max said...

Rory- I'd meet ya at 3rd place if you want to organize it. . .

Anonymous said...

It took me awhile to realize that I'm the carless bike commuter. I thought "who was that loser?"

CX Woman and Carless Man are in for next Wednesday. We'll tell Rad Taylor.

Pump up the Hill for a Hump Day thrill.

Or, at least for some nutrition-packed beer buddies.

Pat S said...

I thought the buzz I caught was from the beer, but turns out, it was the bike talk. That explains why I can't shake the hangover.

Nate, "Pump up the Hill for a Hump Day thrill" rules.

Except if you're coming from the other direction. I'm thinking "Roll your mid-week woes down to Bennedi-toes".

(Word verification is babal. highly appropriate.)

Anonymous said...

I like it. Let's do it. Wade

Anonymous said...

Is this a general invite or a members only?

Andrew

John Speare said...

Andrew: it's open to all bike nerds.

joe said...

I could do that...

umuts said...

thanks