Monday, November 8, 2010

Weird spoke failure

I've busted a handful of spokes over the last few years. In almost all cases, they snap at the bend. I've had a couple break at the nipple too. But I've never had one break like this -- about 20mm away from the head.

Weird, right?

This break was on the cycle truck. Maddie and I really beat the heck out of that bike. It's shifting weird now and it's bugging me. It's doing that think where it won't settle on a gear on the rear cassette if it's mid-to-low range. It's really frustrating. The chain and cassette are nearly new, so it's not a wear issue.

-Some numbers: this is the 802nd post to this blog.
-More: November 10th is the 4th anniversary of this blog's existence.
-Even more: Two years ago on November 9th, 2008 my grandfather, John Speare passed away. A year ago, on November 9th, 2009 my father, John Speare passed away. Let's hope that tomorrow, November 9th, 2010 goes better for this John Speare.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Usually shifting issues like that indicate a dirty/dragging cable or the read derailleur hangar is bent. You didn't by chance get the chain in between the cogset and spokes at some point?

Unknown said...

weird indeed...

i am curious: was this the left side of the rear wheel? did you use straight-guage spokes? was this a heads-in spoke? laced cross three? how much tension?

John Speare said...

anon: i'll check derailleur hanger, but shifting at the edges of the cassette work fine... but it's worth checking. I've not wedged this chain before.

Andrew:
- drive side
- butted spokes (but i replaced it with an old straight spoke I found at P2P
- heads-in
- 3 cross
- tension... i didn't measure. Hopefully around 115 or so.