And that's stupid, because, I've actually wanted this to happen for along time. A long time ago I alluded to this idea because someone (who is *not* in SRV) offered up the idea of "downtown crit" to me... I see this kind of stuff forming and bubbling up and I turn on my heel and run the other direction. I had the same reaction with Bill Bender pitched SpokeFest years ago at a BAB meeting. I told him, in my nicest way, that "no way. Never in Spokane."
In short: it turns out that I'm the lazy bastard "idea guy" (not to mention the token naysayer -- a charming combo)... Irony has come full circle.
So -- I really should do something beyond just post this cry for help from Alan "I actually do stuff. And I race" Jacobs.
And so should you.
Without further ado:
The Lilac City Twilight Criterium (Saturday, September 8) is the finale of the 2012 Inland Road Race Series presented by Larry H. Miller Downtown Dealerships and Spokane Rocket Velo. The crit will thrill racers and spectators alike as we fly through the streets of the vibrant heart of Spokane.
The long-awaited return of the downtown criterium is happening this year thanks to the hard work and support of the City of Spokane, the Downtown Spokane Partnership, Visit Spokane and all of our other sponsors. The event kicks off a weekend of bike-centric events with Spokefest—Spokane’s largest bike-related event—happening the very next day.
We need a mountain of volunteers to pull this race off. If you're able to help--even for just a couple of hours before or after the race--we greatly appreciate it. We promise to make it worth your while: free food, t-shirts, races, forced upper-body workouts. Click here to read what positions are available. To volunteer, call or text Alan Jacob at 509.270.8347 or email email@example.com .
What's in it for volunteers:
- All volunteers receive a volunteer t-shirt
- All volunteers receive free hot coffee compliments of Roast House, a local Spokane roaster
- All volunteers receive a bag of freshly-roasted coffee from Roast House
- All volunteers receive free snack foods and drinks
- Any racer who volunteers during the Inland Road Race Series receives two points towards the series total
- Any racer who volunteers twice or provides two volunteers at any time during the season receives one race entry fee waived
1) Saturday, September 8 with morning, afternoon, and evening positions available.
2) Downtown Spokane, Riverfront Park. Spokane Falls Blvd between Howard and Stevens .
3) Approx. time commitment: 2 to 4 hours depending on the position. It is encouraged and appreciated if you're able to sign up for multiple positions (just as long as the time commitments don't overlap.)
4) While we accept any volunteer who can do light to medium lifting (~20 to ~50 lbs) we prefer volunteers ages 18 and older. Some position MUST be staffed by a person at least 18 years old.
5) No prior experience is necessary. All volunteering duties are very easy to understand but also very important do to correctly. Adequate instructions for all volunteers will be given before the race begins.
6) Volunteers should print, complete, sign, and bring the USA Cycling Volunteer Release to the SRV trailer. In the "Type of Activity," simply write, "assorted volunteer duties."
Full volunteer details (times, locations, duties) are found at http://spokanerocketvelo.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=270%3Alilac-city-twilight-crit-volunteer-needs&catid=43&Itemid=174