The bike is an old AMC single speed. I really am a sucker for the cantilevered frame. It's just such a nice, sensible, classic look. This bike seems typical of most cantilevered frames: stamped dropouts, cool stacked-plate fork crown, generally cheap steel components. Looks comfy though. It seems longer than most of the cantilevered framed bikes I've seen, but maybe that's just an illusion. I like the steel fenders and the chain guard too.
I've watched this bike sit in the elements now for just about a year. It's not moved. It's just slowly dying. In the past, I've attempted to liberate bikes from these types of situations. A few weeks ago I saw an old Schwinn Varsity in a junk pile. I don't like Varsitys at all, but a lot of folks come to me for bikes and if nothing else, it could make a cheap fixed gear for someone to play around on. I left a note on the door of the house that said something like, "if this is going to the landfill, I'll take it and give it a home. Call me..." No response on that one.
I really don't want to buy bikes like this -- I don't want to give anyone money for them. Even though this bike has sat out for the last year, I fear human nature is such that if I went knocking on the guy's door and and inquired, the bike would become much more valuable to the owner. What is now a bike rusting slowing in a heap of junk will become a "classic" or "vintage" ride. I just want it to ride it. I want to pump up the tires and see what it's like to coast down a long gentle hill on this long wheel based-beauty. I don't want to sell it.
It was basically a department store bike back in its day. It was one level above junk or toy status, and now it's just an old junk-toy bike. It's not a valuable bike in monetary terms. But it's worth riding and liberating from the junk heap. After I rode it for a while, I'd throw a basket or a rack on it and give it to just the right person.
With the fenders and the ability to carry stuff, you've got a perfect daily driver for someone who lives downtown, in the Valley, or in Brown's Addition where hills are not an issue.


3 comments:
I completely understand. I drove and rode by an abandoned English-built Huffy for a month, until I finally took it home and cleaned it up, replaced the tires, got the 3-speed S/A hub working before I found that the seat tube had been cut short through the collar. I was able to use the new tires for another project. The fenders will go on something else. I just hate to see a bike go into the landfill.
hey
I recently searched for auto detailing fredericksburg vaand came across Keen Eyes Auto Detailing. I was impressed by how much attention they give to both interior and exterior detailing instead of just a quick wash. Their team focuses on restoring shine, protecting the paint, and leaving the vehicle looking refreshed. If you're looking for reliable detailing with professional results, they're definitely worth checking out.
Post a Comment