Saturday, July 25, 2009

Badger, again



Patrick and I took a leisurely ride to Badger Lake yesterday. I had this overnighter on my calendar for a couple months, so I was sort of conflicted when Jeff announced a one-off FBC ride for tomorrow. According to Liza (who represented the Speare-Mattana family), Jeff broke all records with last night's ride, so I don't feel so bad for missing it, but it would've been nice to see friends.



In any case, we had a nice time at the lake. Badger is just perfect right now. Swimming temperature-wise: it's super refreshing at the moment. I may make a run out there next Friday just to take a swim for a couple hours, then ride back. If I go, I'm bringing an air mattress and some goggles.



I've done this ride probably 6 or 7 times, but I've never done it on a bike with fat nobbies. The route is mostly rail trail and then the best part is on an abandoned road. These tires (quasi-motos) made it a very comfy and easy ride. The Rawland, set up with fattish nobbies is well-suited for this kind of overnighter.


As promised, the work has begun on the Fishlake Trail. What has been wide single track in the past, is not wide double track and in the initial stages of prep. This compare this picture with this one:


The were taken at the same spot.

3 comments:

FBC Spokane said...

That's a great pair of pictures. Wish you could have been there for the Knog ride, but we had a great representative from the household. I think she had a good time, but I never pinned her for a brown bagger. The things you learn.

jim g said...

Hi John, that looks like a tent strapped under the top tube on your Sogn -- is it an REI Roadster?

John Speare said...

Jeff: sorry I missed it, but we'll be there for the August ride.

Jim: it's a hennesy hammock stuffed into a bag that came with the REI bug tent. It's a nice bag-- shapewise -- and it included nylon webbing with buckles.