Sunday, November 8, 2009

More cycle trucking


I've got the SH-80 pretty squared away. I picked up a fat bmx tire last week for $20 and got a double kickstand from REI. The double kickstand makes all the difference in the world. It's pretty frustrating trying to load up heavy stuff on a single kickstand. The double makes it super easy.


The front fender is running super tight. It was buzzing at me today, so I replaced the cheesy plastic clip with a thinner metal one at the fork crown. That gained me a few precious millimeters. We'll see how it goes. I have a feeling that the front wheel may end up with a campaign sign fender or a smaller tire. Smart money is on the coroplast.


Alex is building me another rack for this. He's going to take this one and give me one that is shorter and wider. It will also have a built-in U-lock holder and some cleats for tying down loads. Sweet!


I'm still amazed by how well this one rides with a load. The load in the picture is probably around 30 pounds. It's pretty effortless handling compared to 30 pounds in a pannier or even on my other front-loading bikes.


I've had a number of people ask me how it rides. I'll bring it to the next bike chat hang this Weds night (Benidittos, 5:30pm) for people to try out.

3 comments:

alex wetmore said...

I spot Jubeale.

The new rack is just about done, I put the finishing touches on today while waiting for the flux to soak off of my frame. It just needs a little cleanup.

John Speare said...

Good eye Alex. The Jubeale is good this year, not too sweet. There are 2 six-packs there: one for the here-and-now, and one for next year.

I can't wait to see and use the rack. I don't want to give this bike up for the winter. I'm pondering a studded 20" for the front... I have the studded rear.

Hino said...

Love the bike. Nice blog.