On Argonne, in front of Bottles (great selection, by the way). Walked out to find a dull black frame hiding behind a purple fleece-wearing gentleman digging in a well-used Gilles Berthoud handlebar bag. I subsequently, and within milliseconds, spotted the dull gold lettering on the downtube and struck up a great, day-making conversation with Jim Britain (sp?), a nice fellow who works at Fitness Fanatics.
Bought in 1970 from a shop in California (where Jim worked), the frame's seen many miles and sports the tell-tale "beausage" marks.
- 58x56 Rene Herse frame, black with gold lettering.
- Original rear rack, and he's got the front to go with. Rear-ended by a car, so he replaced the original Le Foil fenders with some Planet Bike black ones.
- TA triple, though the Rene Herse original double is still in his parts bin.
- 650b Super Champion rims on Phil Wood hubs.
- Rene Herse stem. RH cable hangers. Mafac cantilevers and brake levers. Ideale saddle.
Absolutely made my day.
1 day ago