Friday, July 4, 2008

Trails and Climbs - Far and Near



GDR'er

Mr. Blaine is out. A few days ago David hadn't SPOT'd for about 24 hours and had only a short check-in where he mentioned a stomach problem. He dropped out of the race a few days ago with a high fever. I was thinking of keeping the GDR-links here to see the race through, but when I learned that David wasn't in the running, I sort of stopped keeping track of the other racers. So, if you want to keep track, you best book mark this link: http://greatdividerace.blogspot.com/

However, I am interested to see how Jen Hopkins does. Jen is also a single-speeder. And a woman. Both of these attributes put her in a special class for record-holding in the GDR. She and David were in the same neighborhood for a day or two as they rode. She's holding up well.

Mr. Blaine: you gave it a go and I'm certain you'd be rolling over the finish line next week if not for your fever. I would love to know more about your ride, and I hope you provide a ride report on your blog. My hat is off to you sir for the attempt.


A couple days ago

I rode around the Gov't Way/Palisades Park area. Last time I did this specific ride was with Joe about 4 years ago. It includes a climb up the side of Rimrock. And not the "climb" we normally talk about when we're talking bikes, but a real "climb" where you have to climb about 15 feet of ledge-rock. The alternative is to back track a mile or so of steepish-single-tracky-rocky-old road. And after earning my way up that stretch of hill in the 90 degree heat, I'm not turning back for a stinking rock wall.
The picture above shows the base of the climb. With two people this is easier, but I figured out a way to climb this by put the bike in front of me as shown here. Then, you pick the bike up, set it up the hill an arm's length away. Hold the brake. Climb up closer. Repeat. It works well as long as you can sort of stand on the hill/ledge. When the drop becomes too steep, as it does here at the end, it's a "hope you have good footing and throw-a-bike" kind of deal.
Here's how the bike "landed." Nice Spokane view there in the back ground.

This last picture shows where the road ends. I think many years ago the road went where the erosion/cliff deal is now. Today, there is a trail that leads you up to a bunch of big rocks, which put you at the base of the climb. And that's the easiest climb out of there.

By the way, the picture at the very top of this post is down by the river, just below SCC. There is a great trail from the Centennial Trail. Here's my guess of where it's at:



View Larger Map

This is an old timey trail. I think I first rode it when I was about 16. It was my first intro to "mountain biking." Course now, it's way more fun on a drop-bar'd fattish tired road bike.

3 comments:

Hank Greer said...

It seems tossing my bike up over a cliff face would be a make or break situation. Were you prepared and able to catch it if you were a bit short?

When I lived in Alabama I heard about Huffy tosses held for fun at various mountain biking competitions. Something like a hammer throw using POS bikes and you didn't care how the bike landed. Hey, maybe a Huffy Throw on a FBC ride.

Rachel said...

Did you mean just below SFCC? That seems to make better sense from the images.

John Speare said...

Hank: I have something that I can't quite identify that bristles at the idea of throwing bikes for sport. Not sure why, because every time I attempt to fix a crap walmarty bike at P2P, I want to throw it. Maybe that would be cathartic.

Rachel/Bradley: indeed it is below SFCC.