Monday, June 4, 2012

Past bikes - bike #10

Grant would be proud.

Bike #10 was a Schwinn Paramount mountain bike. It was the "PDG" series, some which were lugged and made in Japan (mine) and others that were TIG'd and made in Taiwan.

This was a great bike. I bought it from Recycled Cycles and it was set up with all original components: mid-90's XT everything. Nice stuff.

It was about 2003 or maybe 2004. I bought this bike right before we moved back to Spokane. I was spending a lot of time reading iBOB, which leads to Rivendell. This was a good segue into cycling as an adult in that it didn't push me into the "you must race to be serious" adult rider. I still think the most "serious" of cyclists are those that ride day in and day out through all weather.

And I see with way too much frequency, adults coming back to cycling and immediately being sold the "race lite" schtick. And I think it mostly sucks, cause a lot of that race-derived stuff takes a lot of fun out of cycling for some people (not all!). The *only* reason cycling works for me as long-term thing is that it's just friggin fun.

Off the box...

Anyway -- Petersen got in my head, as he does. And so as soon as I got this Paramount, I tore the bars off it and put some Albatross bars on it. His holiness, GP, is not the only one to blame for this -- I really had some wrist and and numb finger issues from my cross-state tour that made me afraid of straight bars.

So, the Paramount became my daily commuter when I moved to Spokane.
Yes, that's a Softride. I still think they're rad. So there.
Then I got Bike # 11 (wait for it...), which became my commuter, and the Paramount was turned into my first single speed mountain bike. And for that it ruled. Though I was still around 240 pounds, so I had pretty limited range on that thing. But in theory it ruled. And in practice it did rule. I rediscovered the HD trails on this bike and was thankful. Verily.

Here's my pre-blog webpage on the Paramount.

1 comment:

Karst said...

I'm glad you rescued this sentence from oblivion:

"As with love and mating, without confidence, you don't take risks, you don't trust yourself or your equipment, and things just become unfun and too reserved."

Aluminum riders make better lovers, definitely.