Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Next Wheel


Rim: Velocity Blunt

Spokes: straight-gauge 14 gauge DTs

Hub: Sachs Torpedo Duomatic -- 2 speed kickback


I'm going to give this a try on my 720 this winter. The last couple years I've run my 720 with studded tires. It's a fixed gear, so this combo makes a great bike on ice. But I've wanted to try a coaster-brake set up for a while, and the 720 is my most hacked bike, so it will be the one to be converted yet again.


I've been hording this hub for a couple years. It was on a Raliegh 20 that I bought a couple years ago.


The only bummer about this set up will be the rear triangle on the 720. It's set at about 132mm right now. I'll need to set it at 117 or so to make this hub work. I recently attempted to do some rear-triangle work on my RB-T and ended up kinking the chainstay. Ouch. I know cold setting the frame doesn't do it any harm, but it bugs me all the same.


The RB-T is my CX bike and it's now at Hairy Gary's being repaired. I'm actually using the 720 (with a freewheel) for my CX clinics at the moment. Lately, I've been slogging up the side of the bluff carrying the 720 in my lame attempt at "training."


Anyway. That's the plan for this wheel.

No comments: