Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Surly rules

Evidence: http://surlybikes.com/blog/post/were_going_to_sex_you_up_hub_style

Remember my lame attempt to adjust the New Hub and subsequent whine-fest that followed?

And my mea culpa?

I still have 3 Surly "new hubs" that I ride. One is perfectly adjusted and has never been fussed with and is at least 6 years old. The other is on my perpetually changing fixed/single speed road bike du jour (with The Eberlizer at the moment) -- this is the one I've changed and "adjusted" multiple times and is never ever right. And the last is on a 120mm wheel that will live in my garage forever.

Well, the big news is that now the guts of the Surly hubs have shoulders on the axles. And the guts in the newer hubs fit the old "new hubs." That's why I love Surly. I love them. Shimano/Campy, are you seeing this? This is what happens when bike dudes design stuff because they love other bike dudes, verily.

"Do you see what happens, Larry? Do you see what happens when you find a stranger in the alps? This is what happens, Larry! This is what happens when you feed a stoner scrambled eggs!"

Anyway, now I can get new guts for my hubs and never have to adjust again. Oh happy day.

1 comment:

Jonathan Eberly said...

That's pretty awesome. What's up with the random edited-for-tv big lebowski? You got the flu?