Tuesday, March 8, 2011

The studs of Omelas

Photo from January. That snow is gone now!
It's cold, but it's nice. There was sun yesterday and it looks like it may be sort of nice again today.

Every fall, I get all jittery about winter and put the studs on my bike way too early, assuring that winter and ice will take forever to come. Now as spring approaches, I am dying to take the studs off my winter bike. I want to turn it into the chilled street bike with 1.75" (non-tourguard) Pasalas. Bitchin.

But I know that as soon as I put the slick tires on it, we'll get dumped on. It's my duty to hold off the snow by keeping those confounded studs on my bike until May.

You're welcome.

>

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you.

Anonymous said...

Judging from the snow falling outside my window, your stud voodoo was canceled by the bad juju of writing about it.

Thanks for nothing.

John Speare said...

Anon: my thoughts exactly. I suck.

Rachel said...

We had two weeks of warm weather, it was starting to feel like spring around here. I was dying to take my studs off, but I told myself that the moment I did that, it would dump a bunch of snow. I keep telling myself, "It's winter in Spokane through the end of March, don't do it!"

After those two weeks, I was seriously thinking about taking them off that weekend. That weekend, of course, was when it dumped almost a foot of snow on us, and I was glad I had held out.

Last night a friend asked me when I was going to take off the studs, and I told him my line about it being winter through the end of March. Now look, more snow!

Barb Chamberlain said...

Love the Ursula K. LeGuin homage in the title.